books I am reading or loved

  • among the cannibals
  • extreme birds
  • pacific patterns

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Nananu-i-ra

A group of us (15) decided to take off for the weekend and head to Nananu-I-Ra which is a small island at the very tip of the eastern side of the Viti Levu. Basically you go to Rakiraki and catch a boat to Nananu-I-Ra. We had a great time, I enjoyed reading, painting and hanging out with friends. Most importantly spending some quality time with Stan.

He did give me several scares that weekend. He tipped his kayak and could not get back into shore. He tried to swim himself and the kayak back to the shoreline but the current was way to strong. So he finally let go of the boat and swam to a reef and called for help for 30 minutes. Eventually someone saw him and contacted the resort that one of their guests was in trouble. He happily got rescued, by that time the boat had been swept by the current to the end of the island. The lesson of the story...He won't kayak by himself or if he does he will have a whistle with him!!!

The next day he decided to go for a run and he was gone forever and I was getting concern that he passed out from the heat. He had no water with him and it was very hot. He decided to go off the track and work his way down the slope to follow the shore line it was much more treacherous than he realized. Just as I was going to send out someone to find him he was coming back. I am relieved he is ok but at the same time I want to kill him for scaring me again!!!

Here are some pictures of our adventures....


nananu-i-ra

No comments: