books I am reading or loved

  • among the cannibals
  • extreme birds
  • pacific patterns

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

thoughts from fiji

Hi everyone,

I have just been in Fiji for over 2 weeks and it rains a lot!!!! I now understand the mold growing on your shoes experience. It is also hot and very humid here and its not even summer yet. Stan and I go for a run/walk at 6:30 in the morning because by 7:30 its to hot. I am grateful too have acclimatized in Tonga first.

We are still waiting for our stuff that we shipped from Tonga; it is boiling in a container out at the docks. We may be able to get it delivered today some time.

We have met a few of our neighbors and it seems most of them work at USP. One couple we met that lives 3 houses away are from Edmonton, such a small world.

We went to a book launching party last night; it was well attended, and Stan and I really enjoyed the presentation. The book: Kisses in the Nederends by Professor Epeli Hau’ofa was published may years ago and over the last year it has been translated into Japanese. In August it was released in Japan and last night was the launch of the Japanese version of the book here in Fiji. I will have to go to the USP bookstore and get an English version of the book. Stan even wants to read it and that’s saying a lot since he is not a reader!

I am still working at getting pictures up on the blog of my brother’s trip. I may just have to surrender it till I get my computer back. I am glad to announce she has been fixed and has a brand new hard drive and is ready to rock and roll, as soon as I get her back!

For you readers out there I just finished a great book called Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, loved it. I have to say being an avid reader, now that we are here in Fiji and we have TV, but only one channel so I am reading more than ever. I don’t think I brought enough books! Thank god USP has a good selection of books a tad bit pricey though.

I have also set up some painting lessons that will start next week. The teachers name is Deborah, which is a bit weird since my pottery mentors name is Debra as well. Oh how I miss pottery, I don’t like to think about it too much. I did meet a friend of Stan’s last night at the party and he is an artist in residence at USP and he is going to find someone for me that does pottery!!!!

Just when I thought it was going to be a beautiful day it is now pouring, which means I probably wont get my stuff. The guys at the wharf don’t like working in the rain, I don’t blame them, it’s to wet!

Well that’s all for now, since I won’t be doing pictures for a while I will write more about what is happening here in hot and humid Fiji!!!!!


Jay

No comments: