books I am reading or loved

  • among the cannibals
  • extreme birds
  • pacific patterns

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

earthquake 7.8

Just to let you all know that we're doing just fine. No damage or injury to anyone at home. Except the radio reported a Taiwanese man was injured because he was scared and jumped off the balcony of his 3-storey hotel room at Nuku'alofa.

At home, it was only me and Stan who went outside while everyone else continued to stay in bed...or maybe, prayed in bed! It was so amazing and frightening to feel the earth ripple, shake and rattle under your feet. Hard to walk and keep your balance, I didn't have my sea legs on at 4 in the morning.

I was worried the solar-heater's water tank (on top of the roof) might have fell off but it didn't. You should have seen how the water in the big underground tank rocked back and forth, its own personal tsunami in there, pouring waves of water out of it. There was so much splashing I thought at first someone was having a bath at 4:00 in the morning.

Thank you all for your emails of concern

Safe and sound in Tonga

Love Jay

No comments: