books I am reading or loved

  • among the cannibals
  • extreme birds
  • pacific patterns

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Our guide took us to the painting district of Bali. This is when my visa exploded! I of course fell in love with a painting done by a master painter. I am sure I don't have to spell out to you what that means in terms of cost!!!

After much contemplation, bartering which I hate, and starting to drive away and then having to go back. I heard Nicolle's voice in my head "will you think about this painting often and regret not getting it?" YES YES YES!

I was undecided between two paintings hence the hesitation to get one; and felt if I knew the story of each painting it would help me decide. So I dragged in our tour guide to help me decide which one to get. Our tour guide found his friend, a fellow tour guide from the village of the artist, to tell me the story depicted in the paintings! Then I knew which one was mine, it is now home in Canada waiting to be framed, to be loved and admired for years.

The style of painting that I bought is Batuan. The Batuan style of painting is meticulous in its attention to detail and has a tendency to pack every square inch of space. My pottery teacher would tell you this does match my personality, I am not a loose sculpture I tend to fuss over my pieces, and that is being kind! I should have taken a picture of it, but because of shock I didn't, so you will have to trust me, it is beautiful.

Next we went to Pura Batur Sari a royal temple. Then we walked the streets of ubud taking in all the sights, sounds, and smells. I could have spent days in Ubud, and if I ever find myself in Bali again this is where I will stay.











Posted by Picasa

No comments: